Insta-Stories

Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Heart's Tug of War

Ever played a game of Tug of War?


There are two groups pulling at each end of a rope; the groups separated by a line in between. Either group tries their best to pull hard to get the other group on their end of the line. And when the last member of the other group has been pulled over the line, that group is deemed victorious.

Massive amount of effort, technique and energy is required to be successful, in order to come out victorious.

The losing team will leave members with possible abrasion on their hands and arms, even possibly their legs which they use as a fulcrum of defense. This is of course, dependent on how much resistance the losing team has put up.

What happens when the rope is replaced by your heart? Imagine the feeling.

Do you get my drift? Has it happen to you?
Has your heart felt series of pangs due to emotional tug of wars? Yes, I'm talking about dilemmas and indecisiveness on how you feel.

You enter that moment when you feel a tug of war between how you think you should feel and what you really feel.

Cliche, but always potentially present.

How do you deal with your tug-of-war moments? Do you, like me, choose to cover it up with soil and pretend as if it's not happening, praying to God that it'll pass?

There's something pulling at my heart lately, which I have realized has been the cause of restlessness in me.

I honestly feel unsure of how to address the situation and truly couldn't really find anyone to turn to for enlightenment. Then Christ came to mind.


Didn't He also encountered a dilemma? A Tug of War between the Will of His Father and His own well-being?

At the Garden of Gathsemane, He prayed asking His Father "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." (Mat. 26:39) and then a second time, He said again "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." (Mat. 26:42)

He prayed for the third time, uttering the same words before going back to His disciples, ready to drink the cup to be served to him. (Mat. 26:44)

Jesus asked His Father 3 times for the grace to let the cup be passed away from Him. We usually asked more than 3 times, and it's perfectly normal due to us being flawed creatures.

But are we giving enough time to really pray? Jesus sweated blood as He prays at the Garden of Gathsemane. Though we don't sweat with blood, does our heart goes out wholeheartedly in prayer? I realized that lately, I have not prayed with such intensity.

Not really because I don't have the time to, nor I can't find the effort to do it.
Because I'm afraid at what the Will will be.

Do you lack the tenacity to pray because of fear? Not really because you can't find the time to do it, but because you're consumed by fear what his response will turn out to be.

I'm glad I'm very self-aware, I know when I'm beginning to close up again, or I'm afraid of showing my real feelings, this verse from the First book of John in 4:18 reminds that love, if true, will cast out fear.

The writer said "There's no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made in perfect in love."

I am reflecting on these words regarding my current emotions, and I pray for you that when you get out of your very own Garden of Gathsemane, you will come out certain of the path you wish to take, to live out your true vocation.

God bless you all.

2 comments:

  1. Mj,
    every situation that we find ourselves in always have a lesson for us.
    We, on our path, can choose to learn the lesson(s), or just ignore it,like you rightly said,
    and pray that it passes us by.
    But something is for sure,many a time, if that situation is really meant to take to the next level
    you have always prayed for, you will jst be revolving in cycles, as it will not pass you by even with all your prayers.
    Yes, The earth needs you to help replenish it and such situation is needed for you to learn the lessons,
    and the pass its test, so that you can move unto the next level(that you have prayed for).

    Just as my pastor would say(Pastor Poju Oyemade- www.insightsforliving.org), with such thing in your mind,
    just stay there in prayer, don't leave, don't move and inch, until your mind is clear on such matters.
    until you see the light. until that verse which the HolySpirit has shown you becomes the Rhema word of God
    i.e, the Direct Spoken word of God to you. and then you work on what it says. Meditating Joshua 1:8-9,
    gives us the sure link to the GOOD SUCCESS!!!
    God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dotun,

      Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Amen and amen to what you have said.

      I trust that you have been great.

      God bless!

      Best Regards,
      MJ

      Delete